This qualification reflects the role of workers in a range of community settings and clients’ homes, who provide training and support in a manner that empowers people with disabilities to achieve greater levels of independence, self-reliance, community participation and wellbeing.
Workers promote a person-centred approach, work without direct supervision and may be required to supervise and/or coordinate a small team.
Are you ready to begin a meaningful career and care for others in need? By completing a nationally accredited Certificate in Disability; you gain entry to work in this growing sector as a Disability Support Worker/Carer at a Disability Provider or Community Services Provider. With Government funding now available for study (subject to eligibility); there has never been a better time!
At InterCare Training we want to ensure that you have a fun and enjoyable learning experience, it is because of this that we offer a range of flexible training delivery and assessment models to meet each individuals needs.
- Develop foundation knowledge and understanding to work effectively with people who have a Disability.
- Develop skills in the day-to-day, hands-on support and care of clients when working for a Disability Care Provider
- Carry out activities to maintain personal care and other activities of living for people with a Disability
- Carry out activities related to an individualised plan or NDIS Care Plan
- Work effectively with co-workers
- Develop cultural awareness and respectful practices
- Apply knowledge and skills gained through qualifications and / or previous experience to provide training and support to people with disabilities to enhance their ability to achieve greater levels of independence, self reliance and community participation
- Report to service managers and may liaise with health professionals and other service agencies
- May work without direct supervision and may be required to supervise and / or coordinate a limited number of lower classified workers
Why study in the Community Services industry
InterCare video transcript: Why Study in the Community Services Industry
G: I went to work in the Service Industry because I care about people.
D: I chose this course as I wanted to help the community.
S: The most that I was hoping to achieve out of being in the Community Services area was certainly to give back to the community.
G: I come from IT background and that’s dealing mainly with machines and it’s getting closer to people.
D: I actually have a background in retail but I wanted to change my career. This was the best time for me to do it as the kids have got an older
S: I was in Sales and Marketing and Customer Service for the last 35 years. And back in January, I was laid off my job.
DN: They’ve got to that situation. Where, “What am I going to do?” “I’ve been doing this for 30 years. What am I going to do now?” All we can do is give them the options, give them me explanations that they made, give them the reassurance. And then the decision is up to them. But I tell them. They’ve got to have the passion for the industry.
JS: If I’m going to put my mother or my dad into care. If you are going to look after my parents but you don’t have emotionally, you don’t feel anything. There’s no point.
DN: If I train you, would I like you looking after somebody I love? And that’s always a good indication to me.
D: I’m happy now. I can go out and get the career that I’ve always wanted. To help people and help the community. Inter Care makes the transition such a breeze. It’s amazing.
S: For anyone that’s contemplating studying I certainly would say, go for it. You have the best support and the advice that I would give is certainly just give it a go. You won’t be disappointed.
Potential future job roles
This course prepares you to work in job roles such as:
- Behavioural Support Officer
- Development Officer
- Disability Officer – Day Support
- Disability Support Officer / Worker
- Employment Coordinator (Disability)
- Job Coordinator
- Lifestyle Support Officer
- Local Area Coordinator
- Marketing Coordinator
- Project Officer (Life Enhancement Team)
- Residential Care Officer
- Senior Personal Care Assistant
- Social Educator
- Social Trainer
There are no pre-requisite qualifications for entry into this qualification, InterCare Training will ensure Pre Training Review processes are in place to promote suitable and appropriate course enrolments and to protect prospective students prior to enrolling into this training product from being disadvantaged by the inability to meet the AQF level required.
A national Police clearance is required before the placement component can be undertaken.
A national Working with Children Check is required before the placement component can be undertaken
A national NDIS Worker Screening Check is required before the placement component can be undertaken
Evidence of some vaccinations is also a requirement including but not limited to influenza (flu) vaccination, COVID vaccination prior to the placement component.
Your CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability will include the below:
- Total number of units = 14
- 11 core units
- 3 elective units
See full packaging requirements for CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability (https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/CHC43115)
Pathways to employment
- Core unit theory and essential knowledge component is delivered in the classroom or via zoom (virtual class)
- The practical skills will be developed through dedicated lab days and practical simulations under supervision over a specified period of time
- Demonstration of knowledge through written answers and projects
- Demonstration of workplace skills and knowledge through practical placement based around workplace activities
2. Work placement
120 hours: 7am to 3pm
Typically 3 week period
- The practical skills will be developed on the job during the placement component with a Disability Provider under supervision over a specified period of time
- Assessment of practical skills will be assessed on during the placement component
3. Support & post-placement review
InterCare Alumni automatically access the benefits of our InterCare Staffing and Employment services and become priority candidates for roles being recruited for.