Whenever an organisation receives an employment application, enrolment for education, and/or resume on an individual, irrespective of whether it was solicited or unsolicited, personal – and possibly health – information has been collected. Under the privacy legislations, at the time an organisation collects personal and/or health information, or as soon as possible thereafter, the organisation has a responsibility to inform the individual of their right under privacy law.
Within these pieces of legislation are Privacy Principles (Australian Privacy Principles and Health Privacy Principles, respectively) which set out the obligations of organisations whenever collecting, using, disclosing, storing and destroying personal and/or health information. The privacy principles also outline the right of access that individuals have to their personal and/or health information, and organisational obligations for providing individuals with such access, if requested. This includes personal and health information collected during the recruitment and selection process.
This policy applies to personal information collected by InterCare’s concerning staff, external job applicants, students, prospective students, individual clients and other individuals.
This policy/procedure also applies to all InterCare employees.
- SNR 2015
- Privacy Act 1988,
- Australian Privacy Principles 2014
“Students” includes all students enrolled through any mode of training in any state or territory of Australia.
2. Collection of Personal Information
Personal Information is information that allows others to identify you. It may include your name, age, gender, contact details, health information, work history and experience, current salary.
We will collect most personal information directly from you. There may also be occasions when we need to source personal information about you from a third party. (See below: Exchange of Personal Information with Third Parties).
3. Sensitive Information
We will only collect sensitive information with your consent, unless we are required to collect that information by law.
Sensitive information is legally defined as any information about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record or health information.
Sensitive information will only be collected for the purpose of establishing and maintaining our relationship with you, and we will always explain the purpose for collecting it.
4. How we use your personal information
We only collect personal information that is necessary to perform our functions and activities. The primary purpose for InterCare collecting your personal information is to place you in a position of gainful employment, career planning and progression or to enrol you into an educational course.
If you do not provide this information, we may not be able to deal with you, or provide you with our services.
InterCare may also use or disclose your personal information for purposes such as:
- Helping us to develop and identify products and services that may interest you;
- Answering any queries you may have;
- Considering your employment applications;
- Addressing any feedback or complaints you may have
- Maintaining our relationship with you;
- Conducting market or customer service research;
- Performing our internal administration and operations including: accounting, risk management, record keeping, archiving, systems development and testing, credit scoring, and staff training;
- Complying with legislative and regulatory requirements;
- Developing, establishing and administering business alliances and other arrangements with other organisations in relation to the promotion, administration and use of our respective services;
- Any purpose for which it was requested and directly related purposes;
- Developing, improving and marketing our products and services;
5. Exchange Of Personal Information With Third Parties
InterCare may disclose your personal information to:
- Any government department or apprenticeship/traineeship authorities and their employer if
they are undertaking apprenticeship/traineeship studies
- Their secondary school and parents if they are undertaking Vocational Education and Training in a VET in the VCE or schools program, providing confidentially is assured.
- Any entity to which we are required or authorised by or under law to disclose such information (for example, Federal or State law enforcement agencies and investigation agencies, courts and various Federal and State organisations;
- To prospective employers;
- To others that you have been informed at the time any personal information is collected from you;
- To our business associates and others for purposes directly related to the purpose for which the personal information was collected;
- Approved Marketing services
- With your consent (express or implied), to others.
We may also obtain personal information from some or all of the above, as well as your referees and previous employers, to enable us to provide our services or products to you. When we obtain personal information from third parties whom we are referred to by you, we will assume and you will ensure that you have made the third party aware of the referral of the persons and purposes involved in the collection, use and disclosure of the personal information.
6. Storage and Security of personal Information
We protect any personal information that we hold about you from any loss, misuse or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Your information may be stored in hard copy form or electronically in our systems.
Our physical security consists of locks and security systems over our data stores and premises.
Our computer and network safeguards include, but are not limited to:
- Restricting access to our computer systems and physical records to authorised persons and preventing users from accessing information they have no need to access;
- Requiring employees to use unique passwords to gain access to systems. These passwords are changed regularly and their use is independently monitored;
- Employing firewalls, intrusion detection systems, attachment filtering and virus scanning tools to prevent unauthorised persons and viruses from entering our systems.
Appropriate arrangements are implemented to ensure that access to computerised records is granted only to staff requiring such access in the course of their duties. Computer access passwords are intended as security devices and staff are not permitted to disclose their password to others.
7. Accessing your Personal Information
You can request us to provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you. We will respond to your access request as soon as possible, in the manner that you have requested.
If particular circumstances apply, the Privacy Act permits InterCare to deny your request or limit the access we provide. If your access is denied or limited, you will be informed of the reason.
If you wish to access information held by InterCare, you will need to write to:
The Privacy Officer
PO Box 139
Noble Park, VIC 3174
As part of our service to you, InterCare may use personal information collected to identify products and services that may benefit you. We may contact you periodically to inform you about new or existing products or services. However, you may contact us at any time if you do not want to receive marketing information from InterCare.
InterCare may use Google (and their available associated advertising channel opportunities such as Analytics, AdWords, Leads Display, Customer Match, Audience, Demographics), Facebook (and their available associated advertising channel opportunities such as Ad Boosting, Display Campaigns, Audience, Demographics) and Mail Chimp (and their associated advertising channel opportunities such as email campaign outcomes) to inform you about new or existing products or services.
However, you may contact us at any time if you do not want to receive direct marketing information from InterCare.
InterCare only uses first party collected (you provided your details to us) for the purposes of email and ‘Customer Match’ campaigns.
By using Google and/or Facebook advertising channel opportunities we at times share customer data with these third parties to perform services on our behalf. Where we share that customer data we only use Google’s and/or Facebook’s approved API or interface to upload customer data; and comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including any self-regulatory or industry codes that may apply.
InterCare does not disclose personal information to third parties for the purposes of allowing them to market their products and services.
9. Third Parties
Where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect your Personal Information only from you. However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties. In such a case we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by the third party.
10. Up-to-date Personal Information
InterCare will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date at the time of collecting, using or disclosing the information.
Should you inform us that any of the current information that we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-dated, we will promptly update that information.
11. Website Security and Privacy
InterCare uses the Internet as a means of conducting its business, advertising available job positions and interacting with its customers. InterCare continually maintains and monitors its online security systems relating to its own website to ensure your personal information is appropriately protected.
12. Changes to this Policy
Personal information is usually used or disclosed only after obtaining your consent. Your consent can be express or implied.
Procedure / Contacting Us
If you have any questions, complaints or would like further information about our privacy and information handling practices, please contact us.